Reading Revolutionaries is a course in which children connect to books, other children and their own imaginations enabling them to fulfil their potential. Younger pupils are inspired to develop a love of books through a buddy system.
- To equip participating children to read for pleasure on a one-to-one basis with a reading buddy
- To develop leadership and interpersonal skills in the Reading Revolutionaries
- To equip a teacher or teaching assistant to guide and coordinate the Shared Reading activity within the school
- To equip a teacher or teaching assistant to train future cohorts of children as Reading Revolutionaries, ensuring a legacy for the programme
Reading Revolutionaries and their Reading Buddies will feel:
- More confident in reading and reading aloud.
- More confident in their social interactions with their peers.
- More likely to choose to read for pleasure in their spare time.
Teachers or teaching assistants will feel:
- Equipped to support the Reading Revolutionaries through issues such as material selection, troubleshooting, maintaining momentum etc.
- Equipped to train future cohorts of Reading Revolutionaries.
Who can be trained?
- Pupils Year 4 and above who are more confident and enthusiastic readers.
- Ideal for sixth formers wanting to gain volunteering experience and skills.
- Teachers, teaching assistants or other appropriate staff members in a position to coordinate the Shared Reading activity.
Who can be chosen as a Buddy?
- Pupils two school years (or more) younger than the Reading Revolutionaries.
- Pupils who are reluctant readers.
- Pupils who benefit from having one-to-one interaction with an older peer.
- Pupils with English as an additional language.
- Training for up to ten Revolutionaries plus a staff member.
- A ½ day of introductory staff training, a full-day workshop with two ½ day follow-on sessions scheduled for the following term.
- Reading materials selected by course leader.
- A weekly reading log to support reading pairs and monitor impact.
- Course handbook for children and adults, including reading recommendations.
- Pack of 30 books for the school.