A highly-trained reader will work within your school to engage students and staff with weekly Shared Reading groups and create a culture of reading for pleasure.
- To improve students’ relationships with books and reading, using participation in weekly Shared Reading groups.
- To raise staff awareness of the importance of reading for pleasure and the benefits of the Shared Reading model in the school environment.
- To establish a culture of reading for pleasure in school.
What will The Reader provide?
- A trained reader who will work in school for one day per week, for the duration of the programme.
- Delivery of four reading groups per day with up to five students in each group.
- Reading materials for weekly sessions.
What will schools be asked to provide?
- A quiet space for the groups to meet, each week.
- Baseline and follow up evaluation in order to measure impact.
- A register of pupils in each group and timetable of the school day.
Which pupils is it suitable for?
- Suitable for All school ages, from KS1 to A-level.
- Pupils two school years (or more) younger than the Reading Revolutionaries.
- Pupils who are reluctant readers.
- Pupils who benefit from having one-to-one interaction with an older peer.
- Pupils with English as an additional language.